Sunday 9 June 2013

RIP Iain Banks - 09/06/2013

The news that I'd been silently dreading has happened.

My favourite author, Iain (M) Banks has passed away.

This is a sad day for the literary world.  A sad day for readers everywhere.

All readers think that their authors write for them and them alone.  Its a special connection that I don't think really happens with film or any other art.  Its a personal connection.  I used to go to the Library Theatre in Birmingham to hear him speak and there must have been at least 200 people in the audience thinking that this wonderful, witty and charming man was speaking to them and them alone.

Sad man that I am, I've just downloaded a couple of my favourite Iain Banks books onto my Kindle - even though I've got them in paperback and hardback.  Including and especially Against A Dark Background.

Iain might have thought this was amusing.  I hope so. 

Even though I don't drink Iain, I will raise a glass and salute you.  Thank you for your time with us and more importantly, with me.  I have enjoyed many hours reading your books.  I shall enjoy many more reading them again and again.

Peace be with you my friend.  Wherever you are.


Joe.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment